Exceedingly Valiant for Courage

Elder Denelson Silva related this story from his life in the most recent general conference: “In 1982, I was finishing my associate’s degree in topography at a technical school. At the end of the year, a classmate invited me to have a conversation. I remember that we left the other members of the class and went to an area beside a sports court. When we got there, he spoke to me about his religious convictions, and not only did he show me a book, but he gave me the book. Honestly, I do not remember all the words that he said, but I remember that moment very well and the way I felt when he said, ‘I want to bear my testimony to you that this book is true and that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored.’” The book of course was the Book of Mormon, and though he didn’t read it right away, when missionaries came to his house the next year he listened to them and ultimately joined the Church. He related, “Today, when I think about the sequence of events that occurred, I see clearly how important the courage of my classmate was when he bore his testimony about the restored truth and presented me with tangible proof of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ, even the Book of Mormon. That simple act, but of profound significance to me, created a connection between me and the missionaries when I met them.” Indeed, it does take courage to share our testimony of Jesus Christ and His restored gospel with others. But if we will have courage and open our mouths, we never know the impact it will have on others over time. Surely that friend would never have imagined that forty years later his classmate would be telling this story in general conference as a member of the quorum of the Seventy.  

                One of the most popular Primary songs that our children sing is one that I loved growing up: We’ll Bring the World His Truth (better known as The Army of Helaman). The song is about sharing the gospel and in the chorus we find these words: 

We are as the army of Helaman.

We have been taught in our youth.

And we will be the Lord’s missionaries

To bring the world his truth. 

But what does the army of Helaman in the Book of Mormon have to do with missionary work? They were not missionaries but soldiers—so why did Janice Kapp Perry choose to use them as an inspirational example for young missionaries? The most obvious reason is their youth—we read that “they were all young men” and that’s why they were called “stripling” just like the young men and women called to missionary service today. More importantly, though, they were courageous, and perhaps it was their courage that she wanted missionaries of our day to be inspired by in their story. We read, “They were exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all—they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted” (Alma 53:20). When they were being chased by the Lamanites and Helaman questioned them as to whether they would turn around and fight their enemies and protect the Nephites, they responded, “Father, behold our God is with us, and he will not suffer that we should fall; then let us go forth; we would not slay our brethren if they would let us alone; therefore let us go, lest they should overpower the army of Antipus.” Helaman commented, “I say unto you… that never had I seen so great courage, nay, not amongst all the Nephites…. Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them” (Alma 56:45-47). They had great courage and trusted in the Lord, and that’s what made them such powerful soldiers despite their youth. And so too we need to be exceedingly valiant for courage to open our mouths and share the gospel, not fearing the danger but trusting in our God.

                Elder Silva summarized his message with these words, “As you proceed firmly in Christ and with courage not only to proclaim the truth but to live the truth, you will find comfort and peace during the turbulence that you shall encounter in these days…. I bear my testimony of Jesus Christ and that this is His Church. We have a living prophet, and we will always feel free when we proclaim the truth with courage.” As we cultivate the kind of courage that the sons of Helaman had, we will be able to “stand fast in that liberty wherewith God has made [us] free” and our “faith [will be] strong” in the Savior so that we can indeed “bring the world his truth.”     

Comments

Popular Posts