It Is True

In the introductory material to The Book of Mormon we have two separate testimonies of the truthfulness of the work. The first, from the Three Witnesses, is a powerful declaration from three men who asserted that they saw the plates from which the book was translated, beheld and angel, and heard the voice of God proclaim that it was true. They wrote, “Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record…. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true…. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true.” Their words are unequivocal and bold; and as far as we have record they never denied that testimony during their lives, even when they were disaffected from the Church itself. In addition to their words we find the testimony of the Eight Witnesses who also saw the plates: “Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship.” Theirs was a testimony of the truthfulness of the account of Joseph—the plates were real and he really did translate them. Combined with the testimony of Joseph Smith himself, also in the introduction to the book, that makes from the outset twelve bold witnesses to the truthfulness of The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

                In addition to these testimonies, in the book itself the writers also bore their witness that the words they left us are true. Nephi only took three verses to give us this: “And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge” (1 Nephi 1:3). At the end of his record he also said this: “And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good. And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weakness” (2 Nephi 33:10-11). Mormon, who wrote most of the book, also left his witness that it was true: “Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life…. I do make my record from the accounts which have been given by those who were before me, until the commencement of my day; And then I do make a record of the things which I have seen with mine own eyes. And I know the record which I make to be a just and a true record” (3 Nephi 5:13,16-18). As a disciple of Jesus Christ he bore witness that his record was true. Moroni in the final chapter of the book gave us this final testimony of the truthfulness of this sacred work: “And I exhort you to remember these things; for the time speedily cometh that ye shall know that I lie not, for ye shall see me at the bar of God; and the Lord God will say unto you: Did I not declare my words unto you, which were written by this man, like as one crying from the dead, yea, even as one speaking out of the dust? I declare these things unto the fulfilling of the prophecies. And behold, they shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the everlasting God; and his word shall hiss forth from generation to generation. And God shall show unto you, that that which I have written is true” (Moroni 10:27-29). And the Holy Ghost will bear witness to each of us that his testimony is indeed true—we will one day know that Moroni and Mormon and Nephi and all the prophets of The Book of Mormon lived and did in reality write the word of God for us. Sometime we will all know that these words of the Savior, the most powerful testimony of all, are true: “And [Joseph Smith] has translated the book, even that part which I have commanded him, and as your Lord and your God liveth it is true” (Doctrine and Covenants 17:6). I leave my witness as well from the Holy Ghost—and decades of study—that The Book of Mormon is the word of God.    

Comments

Popular Posts